General Dynamics is the world’s foremost designer and builder of nuclear submarines, the most complex machines made by man. The company’s industry leadership extends back over a century to 1899 when it produced the U.S. Navy's first commissioned undersea warship. Today, Electric Boat prides itself on being the premier shipbuilding company in the industry. We develop and apply state of the art technology to the design and construction of nuclear powered submarines. With a team of highly skilled and dedicated employees, we have successfully taken submarine technology to a new level.
General Dynamics Electric Boat is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
EB is looking for skilled machinists, the job is comprised of these areas of responsibilities:
1. The fabrication and the assembly of the test components, test stands, sim/stim units and unique off-hull prototypes for submarine support equipment. This requires the candidate to be a proficient machinist, sandblaster, welder and able to utilize LP air tools.
2.The candidate must be fully competent in small machine shop manufacturing and fabrication operations using such machine tools as vertical milling machines (manual), lathes, drill presses, band saws, surface grinders, etc. The candidate must also be competent in blueprint reading, shop math, inspection techniques employing measuring instruments (to verify plan tolerances). Additionally, the candidate must possess the ability to mechanically assemble test platforms and components in accordance with plan dimensions. Lastly, the candidate will be required to work in a group environment where cooperation is essential to complete assemblies safely, accurately, within cost and schedule objectives. The candidate will be required to have a strong commitment to safe working practices. The candidate will also be expected to support Process Improvement initiatives as they develop.
• High school or Technical school required
• Ability to read blueprints / interpret mechanical detail drawings, including GD&T, weld joint symbology and NDT requirements required.
• Proficient in use of precision measuring tools required.
• Computer literacy required.
• Proficient in shop mathematics.
• Must be able to use shop and handheld/portable power tools.
• Must perform and comply with procedural safety standards and policies.
An entry level apprentice machinist position who can perform the assignments with reasonable direction and oversight.